Tuesday, March 18, 2008

In Bruges

Shannon: Just before going to see In Bruges, I mentioned it to some people (who shall remain nameless) that said everything from "What is In Bruges" to "Oh that's that movie w/Colin Farrell and that other guy!"

That other guy? Excuse me? SINCE WHEN IS RALPH F
IENNES EVER THAT OTHER GUY?! If there is one thing In Bruges solidified for me it's that Ralph Fiennes is an amazing actor!! He has long since been on my top ten (see biography posting on my favorite movies for an explanation as to why) and any idiot can see he is a good actor. I mean who else could pull off Count Almasy, Chris Marshall and Lord Voldemort in one lifetime? (Check his IMDB movie list for more info). BUt alas....he's done it again in this movie! Comedy, darkness, everything!

The movie was good--I liked it and did not regret going. But it was shocking, and sad, and dark. I would give this movie a 6. And I would recommend it w/hesitation--I definitely don't think it is for everyone.

3 Reasons why it wasn't a 10:

  1. The killing is pretty brutal
  2. So is the language
  3. Even though there were amazing shots of Bruges--it still didn't do the city justice!

3 reasons why it wasn't a 3:

  1. Ralph Fiennes (duh). The other 2 main characters were fab too!
  2. The ending did provide a resolved-ish type of feeling.
  3. It was so clever, unexpected and funny!! I still crack up when I think of Colin Farrell saying "If I'd grown up on a farm and was retarded, Bruges might impress me. But I didn't so it doesn't." hahaha Bruges is truly one of the most amazing places I've ever been so how could I do anything but laugh at this hilarious comment!

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

For the record, I was the one that had to be reminded who Ralph fiennes was:)

Shannon said...

For the record, you weren't the only one! :)

Suze said...

I liked this one! Esp "you can't give horse tranquilizers to a midget"!