Friday, August 14, 2009

Julie & Julia and 500 Days of Summer

Just when I think there is no hope for the movie industry....I see these two completely fantastic movies a week apart. Is it really that hard to make a movie like this? Different + meaningful = fantastic!!! I know, I know, it's my own fault for filling my movie repitoire with all the crap that I've been seeing lately, many of which are still sitting in my drafts b/c I don't feel motivated to review them.....
But these two movies are a beacon of light!

500 Days of Summer was just sooo good. I actually started wearing bows around my ponytails (one more example of how my job comes in handy....I want to wear ribbons--good thing I have 100 spools to choose from!). But the "You Make My Dreams Come True" production number is what really stole my heart. Oh how clever and fantastic that was. I must ask myself---why don't more movies catch on???
This movie was a very solid 9!!! Can't wait to see it again!

Then last night I saw Julie & Julia. I was really very neutral about this movie, from the beginning. It looked cute but that's about it. And I don't know if it's just Meryl Streep...but I suspect it is actually a lot more than her that made this movie memorable. There were a lot of really touching moments--I actually teared up a time or two (and not just because the girl next to me wouldn't share her XL Diet Coke)!
Loved her sister. Loved Julia & Paul. I definitely liked their storyline better than Julie & Eric but theirs grew on me too. It was such a sweet and thoughtful show---I'd also give it a 9.

No comments: